Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Charlatan and the Search for Truth

Blogging for Books has provided me with a copy of the book "A Charlatan's Boy" by Jonathon Rogers in exchange for reviews and me posting it a couple of different places, including on my blog. I chose this blog, as it seems most applicable to the topic at hand, but I may end up posting other reviews on my other projects if I feel they are specific to the broad topics at hand.

Image found via Amazon.com.

It took me a while after reading this book to decide whether I liked it or not. The plot was... thin... at best, with nothing spectacularly surprising or even generally unusual to contribute, but the writing itself was phenomenal. The descriptions and thoughts of this poor orphan boy were evocative, and brought me to an understanding of what it meant to be in such a terrible plight. Due to the thin plot, I ultimately decided to judge the book primarily on the lessons it teaches, and here is where the book really comes across. Independence is all fine and dandy, and living the life of a nomad is great, but in order to be happy you need to find a community that is willing to accept you for who you are.

The one part of this that it doesn't address is that we shouldn't be close-minded and anti-strange in our own lives, but accept those we meet for themselves, but hey, no book is perfect, right?

Anyway, I'd give it about 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment